Tuesday, March 31, 2009

hi Subject Lines ... blah

I was just about to write an email to a friend of mine when I realized I didn't know what "subject" to give the email... "Hi" was my first thought, but then I decided that didn't really say anything... so then I thought... "ok maybe I should just write the email and the come up with a subject line later", but then I realized I really wasn't going to write to her regarding any subject in particular... ok well there was one subject I was KINDA curious about who won the poker game at her house on Saturday night, but that hardly seemed like a lengthy enough topic to warrent an entire email... so then I ended up just closing the "compose message" window to stew on it some more.

I realize though that subject lines can be kind of intimidating to somone, like myself, who stresses about every small detail of social interaction the way I do. Having "NO SUBJECT" seems like an immediate declaration that you are sending a pointless email that isn't really worth reading anyway, and subjecting ( I know I'm not using that word right, but oh well) your email as "Hi" seems like pretty much the same thing as having no subject... I have a few other token worthless subject lines that I throw out every once and a while to good friends who I am just writting to to see where the key board takes me... one is "..." the other is "blah"... blah usually indicates that I am going to complain about something or that I am bored and am just subjecting (using that word correcltly now) other people to random typing so that I may feel slightly more amused.

I think actually now that i think about it, I rarely have a pertinent subject line to my emails... at least not the ones I compose as part of my personal life. (I am all about consicise pointful subject lines when I email at work... so I'll just go ahead and pat myself on the back for that super accomplishment !) Anyway, I am looking through my "sent mail" from my Gmail account and the occasional event crops up that gets a poinent subject line such as "Reno?" or "tonight" but most of the subjec lines I've written recently are "hey" or "hi" or "happy monday (tuesday, wed... etc)" ... damn I suck... I can't believe I never worried about Subjecting (New meaning again) my emails before. I guess I usually just go for the emailing before I give it too much though, but the particular email I was going to write that prompted this blog entry was kind of a way for me to feel out if I did something wrong or not... 'cause I am worried that I might have jacked up the poker game I was playing in last Saturday when I left early and sold my chips for less than they were worth to someone else especially since that was right after I had just kind of questionably won a hand...

....We were playing texas hold 'em and there was an off suit straight on the table and I was a little tipsy and wasn't paying too much attention so I thought that was the best thing I had, but I also had a flush and I had the king or ace of the suit and the other guy who was still in had a flush also and had a lower card in his hand so my hand was technically better, but he asked if I wanted to just play what was on the table and I said yes, so he thought I should have lost the hand, but everyone else said I should get the pot... so I took the pot and sold all the chips...

I guess I kind of want to find out what happend with the game to assuage my guilt, but I dont want to come off like I feel guilty because then that is like I am saying that I am guilty of doing something wrong and I'm not totally sure if I am... but if I just drop it then its like I was just drunk and didn't know any better... I mean I was pretty tired and watned to get enough rest to be able to enjoy going to Reno the next day... and I was TRYING to be thoughtful of the rest of the players in the game ... someone had offered to let me put my chips away and take back the initial $20.00 I had bought in with, but I knew if I took my $ 20.00 out of the pot that the winner of the game would end up with a smaller pot so I decided selling my chips was the best thing for the game (even though I had about $25.00 worth of chips that I sold for $17.00)... anyway since I dont think anyone from that poker game reads my blog, I guess I have decided that rather than subjecting and writing an email about the game to my friend who hosted the game I am going to just go ahead and publish this entry as penance for any problem I might have caused in the poker game...

Damn, when I started this entry I really thought I was just going to write about how hard it is to write a good subject line for an email, but instead I seem to have uncovered my underlying issues with subjecting a particular email and have dealt with those issues... what a productive entry this has been (for me... sorry for wasting anyone elses time who might have wandered upon my self help therapy session)... and also I've come up with a new usage for the word subjecting... that is to say I used the word subjecting wrong several times because I was too lazy to figure out a more appropriate word. SCORE!

No comments: